Sunday, October 05, 2008

ZMA

Back in November of '06, I briefly experimented supplementing with ZMA as a sleep and recovery aid. I don't remember how long I took it, or if it had any effect, so I'm gonna give it a go again. It's essentially a Zinc/Magnesium supplement that was originally designed as a recovery aid for athletes. You can read more about it here. I discovered it while reading the Performance Menu message boards, where you can find a great, lengthy discussion about ZMA that I was involved in when I first experimented with it. It can be found here.

10:00:
BW = 172.6lbs

WOD:

As Many Rounds in 15min:
8 Ring Dips
12 Sumo Deadlift Highpull @ 35kg

7

Ugh, I haven't done ring dips since April, so this was grueling. I've definitely lost ground there.

Nutrition:

12:30: 5 Eggs, 2tbsp Olive Oil, 4tbsp Sour Cream, Leeks, Baby Bok Choy. 1 Fuji Apple. 1 cup Whole Milk.

16:30: 5oz Salami, Cream Cheese, Pickled Asparagus. 1/2cup Macadamia Nuts. 1 Asian Pear.

20:00: 1 serving Italian Chicken Salad. 1 Asian Pear.

New Recipe:

Italian Chicken Salad:

Chicken, Boiled & Peeled
Artichoke Hearts
Black Olives
Red Bell Pepper
Basil, Minced
Oregano, Minced

Dressing:

Equal Parts Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Red Wine Vinegar, Parmesan Cheese

For me, ~3lbs of raw chicken yields ~2lbs of cooked chicken. I add a 16oz can of black olives, a 16oz can of quartered artichoke hearts, 2 bell peppers. I mince 4oz of basil, 1oz of oregano. I use 1/2cup of all the ingredients in the dressing.

No comments: